[INRAD] filter comparison

Anders Janis SM4RNA sm4rna at telia.com
Wed Sep 13 04:54:24 CDT 2006

Hi Zoli.

I have posted 2 messages  that not have come thru the reflector.

I try once more:
Hi Clark! (and others)

It seems to mee that you only sent this message to me and not to the
reflektor. I do the same mistake myself from time to time. Anyway here is is
for the reflector.

Ok, my judgement was a bit harsh, I admit to that. But the  fact that the
simpler Murata filters like the CFK445HT do not comply with their own
specifications makes me go balistic. A CFW445HT is specified to 6kHz is
always measured to more than 8kHz. That is just not acceptable. Kiwa has
filters in the same size that is pin compatible that do have the bandwith
promised. Thats the way to go! The skirts has the same steepnes on both
brands though.

In my IC-775DSP I have put in a Kiwa 6kHz filter instead of the (promised to
be 6kHz) CFW455HT, The CFW455HT I put in the 15kHz spot. I do not use FM and
the 8,2kHz measured Murata filter is perfect for medium wave AM. A Murata
filter is ok when one knows what bandwith it really has. ;)

To go back to the CFJ 455 K12 (and similar) it is ofcourse better than the
small ones. I sold my Kenwood 850 as I did not like the blow by sound in
SSB. Then I did not have the knowledge och the skill to change the filter.
Later I bought a ICOM IC-746 and there the PCB is prepared with tracks
making it possible to remove the Murata and put in a FL-80 och a INRAD
455kHz filter. I installed a 2,4kHz INRAD and then it got compleatly quiet
outside the passband. I think a those that prefer the Murata rather than the
2,4kHz Inrad do that becaurse that they really find the 2,4 a bit narrow. If
I would have put in a 2,8kHz, even those that were in doubt would prefer the
Inrad. I have noted Clark that you are both a Murata fan and a 2,8kHz fan so
I might bee right on that one. ;)

Than ofcourse, as you say Clark, the $ plays a part to.

Then I wonder what you other consumers think about that the radio
manufacturers re-use the incorrect Murata specifications in their
specifications?

73 de Anders